General Information and Program
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Symposium
-Sanctuary Currents 2009-
April 18, 2009
8:00 AM - 6:00 PM
1 Old Golf Course Road
- How have the ecosystems of the Monterey Bay Sanctuary changed over time?
- What role have humans played in shaping these changes?
- Come voyage back in time as you hear experts discuss the sanctuary's fascinating ecological history, and how, by understanding its past, we can better care for its future.
- NOAA's Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- Ocean Conservancy
- Cannery Row Company
- Monterey Bay Aquarium
- Pebble Beach Company
Program of Events
|8:00 - 8:45 am
(This is a free event, pre-registration is NOT necessary)
|8:45 - 9:00 am
- Paul Michel, Superintendent, Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
- John Doughty, Association of Monterey Bay Area Governments
- Moderator: Dr. Chris Harrold, Director of Conservation Research, Monterey Bay Aquarium
|9:00 - 9:25 am
||Shifting Baselines Along Sanctuary Shores
Dr. John Pearse, University of California, Santa Cruz
|9:25 - 9:50 am
||Second People Meet the First People: Early Spanish Explorers Encounter Native People
Mark Hylkema, California State Parks
|9:50 - 10:10 am
||Fishing the Bay
Tim Thomas, Monterey Maritime & History Museum
|10:10 - 10:30 am
||Review of Commercial and Recreational Fisheries in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary Area, 1983 to 2007
Paul Reilly, California Department of Fish and Game
|10:40 - 10:50 am
|10:50 - 11:15 am
||The Elkhorn Slough Tidal Wetlands: A Decisive Moment Between Centuries of Change
Bryan Largay, Elkhorn Slough Estuarine Research Reserve
|11:15 - 11:40 am
||Inflows from a Changing Society: Our Past, Our Present, Our Pollutants, and Their Impacts in the Sanctuary
Dr. John Hunt, University of California, Davis
|11:40 - 12:05 pm
||Resource Protection Challenges for the Future
Meg Caldwell, Center for Ocean Solutions, Stanford University
|12:05 - 2:00 pm
||Lunch, exhibits, and posters of student and professional marine research
|2:00 - 3:00 pm
||Ricketts Memorial Lecture:
Heroes of Future Past: Deep Pelagic Research in Monterey Bay
Dr. Bruce Robison,
Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
|4:00 - 6:00 pm
- From Highway 1 north: Exit at Del Monte/Pacific Grove, turn left on Sloat (third stoplight) and go until it ends at a stoplight (entrance to the Hyatt).
- From Highway 1 south: Exit on Aguajito, turn right at the second stoplight (entrance to the Hyatt).
- From Highway 68 Salinas: Turn right on Olmstead Road (to the Monterey Airport), then left on Garden Road and left on Mark Thomas Dr. Turn left at the next stoplight (entrance to the Hyatt).
For more information, contact Liz Love at (831) 647-4255, or email.
Parking: After entering the Hyatt, turn right at the fork, and park near the main lobby. The conference will be held in the Monterey Grand Ballroom.
Click here for Hyatt Map