SAC Meeting Minutes
BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY
October 1, 2004
Sur Lodge, CA
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary (MBNMS) Advisory Council
met on Friday, October 1, 2004, at the Big Sur Lodge, California. Public
categories and government agencies were present as indicated:
State Parks: Dave Vincent
Large: Margaret Webb
Large: Mike Laffen
Large: Deborah Streeter
& Industry: Nancy Black-ABSENT
& Harbors: Brian Foss
Coastal Commission: Charles Lester -ABSENT
Dept. of Fish and Game: Paul Reilly
EPA: Russ Jeffries-ABSENT
Resources Agency: Brian Baird-ABSENT
Coast Guard: LT Deborah Darminio
following non-voting members were present as indicated:
Islands NMS: Chris Mobley-ABSENT
Gulf of the Farallones NMS: Julie Barrow-ABSENT
Cordell Bank NMS: Dan Howard-ABSENT
Elkhorn Slough NERR: Becky Christensen-ABSENT
Monterey Bay NMS: Holly Price
present in audience:
CALL TO ORDER, ROLL CALL, SWEAR IN OF NEW MEMBER, APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Harter, Big Sur Sector Superintendent, CA State Parks welcomed the
Advisory Council to Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park and the Big Sur Lodge.
IN OF NEW MEMBER
Price, Acting Superintendent, MBNMS, swore in new Association of
Monterey Bay Area Governments (AMBAG) alternate, Dick Vreeland.
OF 8/6/04 DRAFT MEETING NOTES
(Passed) The SAC adopted the minutes from the August 6, 2004 Sanctuary
Advisory Council meeting with the following changes:
III, under “Partnership Matrix” add “any
potential information regarding” before “sharing
conflict of interest”
III, create separate heading titled “2002-2003
Annual Report” and pull out sentences from the “Response
letter from National Marine Fisheries Service”
III, under “Update
on Marine Life Protection Act” change “initiative
back on track” to “process is back on track
with what is being called the MLPA Initiative”
III, add “Foundation” after “Resources
III, change “Panel” to “Task
III, under “Charter Revision” remove
the apostrophe from the word ”Councils”
VIII, second paragraph, change “Oceana” to “Oceano”
VIII, third paragraph, change “asking” to “ask”
introduced by Dave Vincent, seconded by Frank Degnan (Vote: 11 in favor,
0 opposed, 2 abstentions (Stephanie Harlan, AMBAG and Kaitilin Gaffney,
PUBLIC COMMENT FOR ITEMS NOT ON THE AGENDA
Shimek called the Advisory Council’s attention to a cooperative
project between NOAA and Great Lake State Parks and non –governmental
organizations that brings water quality issues to the attention of
the public through outreach materials in public restrooms and at
Darminio, US Coast Guard, announced that the Coast Guard will be
having a ceremony on October 14th at 4 p.m. to open the new Coast
Guard pier to the public. This will be the first time the pier has
been open to the public since September 11, 2001. LCDR Darminio also
noted that the Coast Guard was working with the MBNMS on signage
at the site.
JOINT MANAGEMENT PLAN REVIEW UPDATES
STAFF FEEDBACK ON ADVISORY COUNCIL PRIORITIZATION
Price, Acting Superintendent, explained that Advisory Council Chair,
Deborah Streeter, had asked for this update so the Advisory Council
could learn how MBNMS staff would be using comments the Advisory Council
gave at the August meeting regarding JMPR priorities. Holly explained
that many of the top 5-8 action plans are large and continuous projects
while the bulk of the work on a few others can probably be taken care
of in the first year. For example, Cruise Ships, Motorized Personal
Watercraft, Submerged Cables and Desalination are all important plans,
but are not plans that need to be sustained at a high priority level
year after year. The Emerging Issue (currently being looked at by an
intern) and the Big Sur Coastal Ecosystem plans are plans that we are
looking to address down the road, not immediately. There are some plans
where we are looking for outside funding sources to assist us, such
as Davidson Seamount and Maritime Heritage. Holly explained that Maritime
Heritage is a priority at the national level for all sanctuaries. She
also expressed that staff would be giving more attention to Coastal
Armoring than the Advisory Council gave it. Holly emphasized that implementation
of these plans would be phased and that how successful we are in implementing
these plans depends heavily on how we motivate and engage our partners
in working with us.
Advisory Council member comments included:
intern looking at emerging issues may not be enough.
There may be times where some issues may mushroom cloud. Holly
commented that staff is always listening for emerging issues and
as one appears in need of immediate attention it gets pursued.
However staff will always need to decide where a new issue ranks
compared to existing JMPR priorities. It was suggested that the
Advisory Council would also help bring emerging issues to the attention
of Sanctuary staff.
emerging issue in the southern region of the MBNMS is the Montebello
wreck site. Some in the community were surprised to find that the
Montebello was not within the sanctuary boundaries. Holly noted
the past research cruise to asses the shipwreck, the absence of
identified leaks, and the need for potential future assessment
of the hull. Advisory Council members encouraged MBNMS staff to
continue to do outreach on this issue in the local community, and
relate the results of MBNMS surveys and research.
was noted that desalination had a lot of intense local interest,
but that it was of a lower priority to the MBNMS than some of
the other action plans. Holly commented that the MBNMS focus was
on discharges and seabed disturbance related to desalination. The
MBNMS would raise awareness of water quality, discharge, and
disturbance impacts and getting answers to key questions related
to those impacts. The MBNMS has been recommending a regional approach
and will continue to do so. There are many other impacts related
to land use that are outside the MBNMS jurisdiction, and MBNMS
will participate with local governments as they take a lead in
assessing those impacts.
ON ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT AND CONSULTATIONS
Morton, Management Plan Coordinator, provided the Advisory Council
with an update on the JMPR. Staff has been working on getting an
Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) up and running. The EIS will
focus on assessing the regulatory changes that are associated with
the action plans. He has been working with a National Environmental
Policy Act (NEPA) contractor to get things going. Staff is hoping to
get information back from them in early November 2004.
indicated that Section 303 of the NMSA directs the sanctuaries to consult
with a variety of agencies when the program is considering modifications
to the site’s designation document.
The MBNMS will be proposing three modifications: potential boundary
modifications to include the Davidson Seamount, the authority to
prohibit removal and take below 3000 feet in the Davidson Seamount
area and the authority to address introduced species. These consultations
will begin with a letter to each of the agencies and a copy will
be sent to the Advisory Council. The MBNMS will be broad in its distribution
of these letters, but mandated recipients include the House Resource
Committee and Senate Commerce Committee, State, Defense, Transportation,
and Interior departments.
also indicated that under Section 304 of the National Marine Sanctuaries
Act it is required that the MBNMS provide the Pacific Fishery Management
Council (PFMC) the opportunity to prepare draft regulations that relate
to fishing. If the PFMC declines, the regulations may be adopted by
NOAA per Section 304. The MBNMS will consult with the PFMC about Davidson
Seamount and proposed prohibitions below 3000 feet.
June 2004, all three central coast sanctuaries also requested the PFMC
to ban krill harvesting within the sanctuaries. The PFMC was very supportive
of this and recommended expansion on the ban on krill harvesting
throughout the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). In November this will
again be discussed by the PFMC and additional advisory bodies will
help identify the best mechanism for prohibiting krill harvesting throughout
indicated that once the Draft Management Plan and draft EIS are submitted
to headquarters for clearance it will probably take at least three
months. Sean guessed that the draft documents may be available for
public review this summer.
COUNCIL STANDING WORKING GROUP REVIEW
explained that she placed this item on the agenda because it would
be a good opportunity to remind everyone of the four standing working
groups. She wanted everyone to think about how these working groups
can be helpful to the Advisory Council and how the Advisory Council
can be helpful to the working groups. Deborah indicated that the working
groups have evolved since they were first established. She commented
that she has invited the chairs of each working group to meet with
her in November to review how the working groups are functioning and
how things might be enhanced. One of her goals is to increase public
awareness of the sanctuary. She believes the working groups are a great
way to do this. She would also like to increase communication between
the working groups and the Advisory Council.
Harrold, Chair of the Research Activities Panel (RAP), commented on
some of his observations of how the RAP has developed over time. There
are twenty-four members of the RAP representing research agencies around
the bay and attendance has slowly been eroding. He commented that the
environment has changed over the past ten years. The RAP started meeting
before the sanctuary was designated to help with developing a research
plan for the Sanctuary. Since then, the research component of the Sanctuary
has become well established. Chris proposed at their last meeting that
they do an assessment taking them through seven steps to look at their
membership and what their priorities are. They hope to have this assessment
completed at their next meeting. He commented that the RAP needs to
better understand the needs of the MBNMS. He doesn’t believe
the RAP has always followed through on what MBNMS staff has asked of
them. Also, the RAP needs to better understand the needs of institutions
of the RAP. Once this assessment is done, they will reexamine the goals
of the RAP as they relate to the MBNMS and RAP institution needs. If
mesh they may need to draft a new mission statement. Chris will keep
the Advisory Council informed on progress at subsequent meetings.
discussion, it was also commented that there may be overlap between
the RAP and the Sanctuary Integrated Monitoring Network (SIMoN) Science
Committee. It is possible that there does not need to be both groups.
Gaffney, Chair of the Conservation Working Group (CWG), expressed her
view that the working groups have a critical role to play. It is certainly
critical to her seat on the Advisory Council because she is able to
bring back to Advisory Council meetings the voice of a broader conservation
Clark-Gray, Chair of the Sanctuary Education Panel (SEP), commented
that at their next meeting, the SEP will be looking at their goals.
The SEP played a more active role in the beginning of the sanctuary,
but as education staff was hired on that has changed. They have weighed
in on many things and work in coordination with MBNMS staff. Teachers
have become less involved and Pat would like to see that change.
Laffen, Citizen At-large primary, commented that these working groups
could be helpful to Gulf of the Farallones NMS with their new role
in the Northern Management Area. He asked that if any of the chairs
had any information to give him, he would bring it to GFNMS staff.
Bekker, Vice-chair of the Business and Tourism Panel (BTAP), commented
that the BTAP is also assessing its operation and goals. Membership
is based heavily on a listserv of people wanting to know what is going
on, rather than attending a meeting. The BTAP is considering planning
some workshops perhaps focused on the lodging industry, which will
be educational and informative, with the goal of identifying some collaborative
projects. Hopefully this might also bring in new members who have an
interest and the time. Attendance at meetings is very issue-based;
when there was the cruise ship issue, attendance was high but then
it went back down again afterwards. In an effort to boost attendance,
they have tried changing the meetings from Monterey to Santa Cruz,
or having them in Moss Landing, but that did not work.
noted that BTAP members would work with MBNMS staff to identify business-oriented
venues where staff and BTAP members could give presentations.
was decided that the working groups be added to future agenda for a
while to enhance the exchange of information and help identify emerging
MARINE PROTECTED AREA WORKING GROUP UPDATE
gave an update on the Special Marine Protected Area (SMPA) working
group. The group took a break for a few months and began meeting again
this past spring. They have been following the recommendations of the
SMPA Plan very closely.
Webb, Citizen At-large primary, announced that the Marine Interest
Group (MIG) in the southern region of the MBNMS, will be addressing
at their next meeting. PJ suggested that it might be helpful to share
MBNMS work with them and help provide more of a foundation for what they
are looking at. She asked if there was someone on staff that she could
get in touch with. Holly let her know that Huff McGonigal, Environmental
Policy Specialist, would be able to provide information. It was also
noted that Mike Osmond, with the World Wildlife Fund, sits on the MIG
and could act as an informal liaison between the groups.
Gaffney, Conservation primary, suggested that MBNMS use similar decision-making
tools as the CINMS did. She was impressed with their software programs.
asked the Advisory Council how and when would they like updates like
this regarding the Action Plan. It was decided that they would like
routine updates, otherwise it would result in a huge amount of information
at one time.
ASSOCIATION OF MONTEREY BAY AREA GOVERNMENTS (AMBAG) REVIEW
updated the Advisory Council on the recent discussions with AMBAG,
including the meeting Deborah, Rachel and Holly had with Ralph
Rubio and Nick Papadakis. She explained some of the ways that the MBNMS
staff could address their concerns regarding the MBNMS and the
Advisory Council. Some of the ideas were a workshop with AMBAG to focus
on issues that might interest them, and a presentation this fall or
winter on the management plan review and other key issues of interest
to them. Rachel is contributing articles to their newsletters.
Deborah has also attended some of their meetings and has asked them
to attend Advisory Council meetings and has also sent them a letter
inviting them to meetings. AMBAG’s recommendations
on the Advisory Council member selection process will be decided at
their next meeting on October 13th. Holly explained that she wanted
to present an alternative regarding allowing a public comment period
on the applicants to the Advisory Council subcommittee before they
deliberate and make their recommendations. Holly asked the Advisory
Council if they had any advice on this issue. She explained that the
national policy regarding Advisory Council recruitments would remain
members commented that if AMBAG does choose to suggest having select
groups choose an Advisory Council member, than they better have strong
reasons for why those groups were chosen and not others. Groups that
were not asked to select the Advisory Council members might be upset
that they weren’t chosen to fill that role. Having a
pre-designated group choose who should be on the Advisory Council is
undemocratic. There should be an open application process.
Council members supported the idea of more outreach to beef up recruitment,
including encouraging applicants to submit letters of recommendation.
Lott, NMSP GIS Coordinator, gave a brief powerpoint presentation
on the NMSP small vessel program and on the future central coast
sanctuaries vessel, the R/V Fulmar.
announced that the R/V Shearwater would be in Monterey on October 21st.
She will send out more details by email. There will be an open house
to allow Advisory Council members and members of the media to view
the Shearwater up close and to get an idea what the R/V Fulmar will
NORTHERN MANAGEMENT AREA (NMA) UPDATE
COUNCIL FEEDBACK ON DRAFT PLAN
asked the Advisory Council if they had any comments or questions
on the NMA Draft Transition Plan that was handed out at the August
was commented that performance measures will be developed and brought
back to the Advisory Council at a future meeting.
Advisory Council also inquired about the permitting process and if
it had changed over to the GFNMS. Holly explained that Irina Kogan
is their staff lead on permits and she has been working closely with
MBNMS staff on the permits that we have administered, with the exception
of water quality which MBNMS retains. Advisory Council members also wanted
to know if GFNMS has an enforcement officer and to what degree the MBNMS
was going to continue to be responsible for things that occur in the
NMA. Holly indicated that the GFNMS did not have an enforcement officer
at this time, but that they do have a NOAA Special Agent who can follow
up on things. GFNMS will develop an enforcement plan to see what their
needs are and we will work with them on that.
3, 2004 JOINT MEETING
read aloud the potential topics that the GFNMS Advisory Council had
suggested be discussed at the upcoming December 3rd joint meeting.
After some discussion, the Advisory Council decided that it would be
good for MBNMS/GFNMS staff to provide presentations on JMPR action
plans that were relevant to the NMA. It was important to bring the
GFNMS Advisory Council up to date on how these action plans came about.
Both Advisory Councils will have homework before the meeting to read
the pertinent action plans and the NMA Transition Plan.
meeting will be held in the Half Moon Bay area and there was some discussion
about a possible field trip to allow Advisory Council members the
opportunity to get to know one another better. Tim Frahm suggested
a tour of Año
Nuevo or kiwi picking at the farm across the street.
Shimek gave a brief report on the last Gulf of the Farallones Advisory
Council meeting that he attended. He expressed some of their concerns
regarding the NMA and the joint meeting in December. He explained
that they would like a small group of Advisory Council members along
with staff to identify the items for the December meeting agenda. They
were also concerned about the disparity between the two Advisory Councils,
with Monterey having 20 members and Gulf of the Farallones with only
six members. They also expressed a desire to have their alternates
sit at the table with the primary members.
GFNMS Advisory Council also discussed the NMA Transition Plan and
how it lays out how the two offices will conduct business. However,
outline how the two Advisory Councils will conduct business.
stated she has had a hard time finding out who the GFNMS liaison
to our Advisory Council is. Julie Barrow, from GFNMS, stated she would
find out and let the Council know.
announced that she had recently returned from the Leadership Team
meeting in New York. The meeting was held in New York to introduce
the program to this huge metropolitan area. There was a reception which
included keynote speakers Leon Panetta and Dr. Bob Ballard. Dr. Ballard
had made a statement during his speech that nothing beats Monterey
Bay and he talked about the telepresence project in Cannery Row.
the Advisory Council to several recent changes in MBNMS staff.
newest members of the MBNMS staff include:
Cassel who started with the MBNMS in February as the Bilingual
Education Specialist with the MERITO Program
Fletcher who started with the MBNMS in July as the Education and
Outreach Specialist in our Santa Cruz office
Stamski who joined the Research Team this week as a CA Sea
Grant Fellow for the next nine months
Meyers, who joined the MBNMS as a Regional WQPP Coordinator
the MBNMS will be saying goodbye to Katie Siegler who is leaving us after
three years as the Agriculture Water Quality Coordinator, and recruitment
is underway for replacement.
MBNMS Education Coordinator, gave an update on the status of the MBNMS
Exploration Center. At the Advisory Council meeting in February the
architectural and exhibit design teams will be giving presentations
on the design and construction of the MBNMS Visitor Center in Santa
Cruz. She explained the MBNMS will have a capital lease with the City
of Santa Cruz and that the NMSP will provide money to the City to construct
the building. The cost of construction is currently estimated at $5
million. Cost for exhibitry is currently established at $2 million.
These costs will need to be refined based on input from the design
firms. The National Marine Sanctuary Foundation will play a key role
in fundraising for exhibits. Staff is hoping to see the doors open
in the Fall of 2007.
a brief update on the status of the recreational fishing seat recruitment.
She has passed on her recommendations to Headquarters and is awaiting
OF RESEARCH ALTERNATE
that Dr. Jeffrey Paduan has officially resigned as the Research alternate.
We will be recruiting for a replacement along with the regularly
scheduled recruitment for several other seats instead of doing a separate
was suggested for this upcoming recruitment that questions be added
to the recruitment application, such as has the applicant ever attended
an Advisory Council meeting before? It was also commented that the
public needs to be made aware that letters of recommendation can
be submitted for any of the applicants.
recommendation subcommittee was identified including: Deborah Streeter,
Paul Reilly, Kaitilin Gaffney, PJ Webb and Stephanie Harlan. Deborah
will send an email out to those members not at the meeting inviting
them to volunteer for the recommendation subcommittee.
COUNCIL CHAIRS/COORDINATORS MEETING
announced that the annual Advisory Council Chairs/Coordinators meeting
will be held in San Francisco, February 7-11. She explained that
there were three policy topics chosen that the Chairs will be getting
presentations on and addressing. The three topics were Cruise Ships,
Aquaculture and Marine Protected Areas. She would like any guidance
from the Advisory Council on these three topics to ensure that she
is accurately representing the view of the MBNMS Advisory Council while
in San Francisco.
some discussion, the Advisory Council decided to submit to Headquarters
their February 2003 resolution on Cruise Ship Discharges, the Cruise
Ship action plan and Special Marine Protected Areas action plan within
the JMPR, as background information for other Advisory Councils. Regarding
aquaculture, the MBNMS Advisory Council had not received much information
on the topic. For the February Advisory Council meeting, the National
Marine Sanctuary Program will provide more information for the Advisory
Council to use to guide Deborah for the Advisory Council Chairs/Coordinators
Harrold, Research primary, announced that there is a PEW Ocean Commission
report on aquaculture that the Chairs may want to read before the meeting.
Rachel also announced that the U.S. Ocean Commission has information
COUNCIL MEETING SCHEDULE
drew everyone’s attention to the 2005
Advisory Council meeting schedule. She let them know that the CINMS
Advisory Council is looking in to possibly having some evening meetings.
She wanted to let them know that she is still considering that idea
for the MBNMS Advisory Council. If the MBNMS Advisory Council decided
to have an evening meeting, they should think about having it in
Monterey or Santa Cruz. It was commented that the staff will be having
evening public hearings for the draft Management Plan. The Advisory
Council should discuss how they would like to give comments on the
also mentioned that there is good public turnout at Advisory Council
meetings in Monterey and Santa Cruz. She is not sure that we are
meeting the same goal in Cambria and Big Sur. Is there something
else we can do? This will be discussed at a future meeting.
ADVISORY COUNCIL MEMBER ANNOUNCEMENTS
Harlan, AMBAG primary, had several announcements. She announced
the upcoming MBARI open house. She announced that Dick Vreeland is
running for reelection. Also, she attended the League of CA cities
meeting two weeks ago. Leon Panetta spoke and was inspirational. She
visited the Aquarium of the Pacific recently and she noted that they
had an exhibit on the Channel Islands. She called Michael Murray, CINMS
Management Plan Coordinator and Advisory Council Coordinator, to see
if he could get the aquarium staff to talk about the CINMS. There was
a 3D video there that was very effective. Also, she asked that everyone
write the governor in support of the current bill regarding banning
cruise ship dumping in state waters. Lastly, the Capitola Sanitation
District has come up with a plan to check sewer lines near creeks.
Harrold, Research primary, mentioned the Currents Symposium on March
12th at CSUMB. The Monterey Bay Aquarium will be celebrating their
20th anniversary on October 24. The female white shark has broken the
world record of being held in captivity. Mike Sutton is now on board
as the Director for the Center for Future of Oceans. If anyone has
thoughts on what the Aquarium should do in ocean conservation and policy,
get in touch with Mike. He also mentioned the brief video of the MBNMS
that plays at the Aquarium. The video focuses on images and simple
Reilly, CA Fish and Game, announced that the Marine Life Protection
Act Initiative is moving forward. There are eight members on the Blue
Ribbon Task Force. You can find out more about the task force at www.mlpataskforce.org.
Gaffney, Conservation primary, also spoke about the state cruise ship
bills and expressed her view that the work at the MBNMS on this issue
was a great catalyst.
Webb, At-large primary, announced that there was a great turn out for
Andrew DeVogelaere’s presentation on the
Davidson Seamount in Cambria. He had an audience of 60 people.
Shimek, Conservation alternate, announced that there are three pieces
of national legislation that we should be watching: the Oceans 21 bill,
a bill sponsored by Barbara Boxer, and one by Senator Hollings.
Frahm, Agriculture alternate, announced that the San Mateo Farm Bureau
would like to acknowledge the good work done by Katie Siegler. They
have participated together in many workshops and facilitated many grants
NEXT MEETING: DECEMBER 3, 2004, COSTANOA LODGE AND RESORT, PESCADERO
The meeting adjourned at 3:12 p.m.
Sanctuary Advisory Council Coordinator