Business and Tourism Activity Panel (BTAP) Minutes
Meeting Date: Wednesday, March 19, 2003
Time: 9:30-11:30 AM
Location: Moss Landing Marine Laboratories
Ebert, BTAP Chair, SAC Business/Industry Representative
Saunders, Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Capps, Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Armstrong, Monterey Bay Aquarium
Cameron, Monterey County CVB
Schnorf, Moss Landing Harbor District
Harlan, SAC Chair, AMBAG rep
Bekker, Cannery Row Company, Monterey
Schieblauer, Monterey Harbor, City of Monterey
Seavey, Monterey Abalone Company
Warman, SAC Business Alternate
Abbott, Duke Energy, Moss Landing
Fosmark, Alliance of Communities for Sustainable Fisheries
Sorensen, On the Beach Surf Shop
Ivy, Santa Cruz Co. CVC
Hart, Moss Landing Fisherman’s Association
Meeting Notes – a Brief Summary of the Meeting’s Proceedings.
E., BTAP Chair gave welcoming comments and individual introductions
Not on the Agenda/Announcements:
B. reminded those attending that some of the workgroups associated
with the Sanctuary’s Joint
Management Plan Review Process (JMPR) may continue meeting longer.
H. gave a very brief overview of the SAC Coordinators Meeting
held in Santa Barbara in February.
C. indicated an interest in working on a “50 Ways to get Your
Feet Wet in the MBNMS” type
brochure for Monterey County.
S. mentioned that the MBNMS is looking at potential sites for a Visitor
2003 SAC Meeting Review:
E. reviewed some of the major topics discussed at the SAC meeting.
These included cruise ships, the
National Marine Sanctuary Program (NMSP) “white paper” on
regulatory coordination between the NMSP and the National Marine Fisheries
Service, a presentation on oil spill prevention and response activities,
sanctuary staffing, etc. For more information on the February SAC meeting,
see the SAC meeting minutes located on the Sanctuary’s web site
Steve S. commented that there were still a lot of questions to be answered
about spill response and prevention and more detail was needed on where
clean up vessels were located, what was in place in the region, how
dispersants would be used, and whether and how fishermen might be involved
Writing Protocols for Working Groups Update:
E. reported on a March 10th meeting he had with Sanctuary Superintendent
SAC Chair Stephanie Harlan, Research Activities Panel (RAP) Chair
Chris Harrold and Pat Clark-Gray, Chair of the Sanctuary Education
(SEP) (the Chairs of the Conservation Working Group were invited
not attend). The meeting was convened in response to a request by
Dave E. on behalf of the BTAP to try and iron out more consistent protocols
for the BTAP, RAP, SEP, and CWG to follow when sending letters to
MBNMS or SAC or taking other actions. Dave E. reported that Bill’s
position was that letters written by these working groups to the Sanctuary
Superintendent or the SAC had to be reviewed and approved by him before
they were formally submitted. Rachel S. clarified that the Sanctuary
was not in fact talking about approving letters, but having a chance
to review and discuss the issues ahead of time. Rachel S. stated that
this was the way the other work groups have generally operated and
that the idea behind it was to facilitate open lines of communication.
S. and Tony W. agreed that enhanced communication and seeking a higher
standard was generally a good thing, but continued to question why
letters had to be reviewed ahead of time. Mike B. noted that it was
step that he found unusual. Maggie I. expressed strong negative feelings
about it and said that she thought that it would repel people. A question
was also raised about whether SAC At-Large members would have to follow
the same protocol in sending correspondence to the SAC or MBNMS. Rachel
S. indicated that a recent memo brought forward to the SAC by an At-Large
member regarding staffing issues had been reviewed and discussed with
Bill and MBNMS staff prior to it being sent on to the SAC. Dave E.
closed the discussion by indicating that Bill had agreed to come to
BTAP meeting in May and that the group could talk directly to Bill
about this issue if needed. The SAC will also be reviewing the SAC
and protocols at their April 4th meeting, and so may also address this
S. reported on the actions taken by the Monterey City Council to address
the recently disclosed discharge
in the MBNMS
by the vessel Crystal Harmony, owned by Crystal Cruise Lines. The
City Council voted to ban the cruise line for 15 years and ban the
vessel forever. They also adopted several amendments to the City’s
Cruise Line Action Plan. Rachel S. noted the action taken by the SAC
at its February meeting recommending that the MBNMS develop and implement
a regulation prohibiting harmful cruise ship discharges.
S. raised concerns over the recent released “white
paper” on regulatory coordination between the NMSP and the National
Marine Fisheries Service. The “white paper” was developed
by National Marine Sanctuary Program Headquarters and is a statement
of national policy applying to all the sanctuaries. (A copy of the policy
paper can be found as a PDF file at the following web link, under the
11:00 a.m. agenda item: http://montereybay.nos.noaa.gov/sac/2003/020703/agenda.html).
Steve S. stated that to a large degree the language was consistent with
the Sanctuary’s designation documents, but that the tone was more
aggressive and it asserted a stronger role for the sanctuary with regard
to the management of fishing. He expressed concern that it was going
to replace or supercede the current language in the MBNMS management
plan. The SAC at its February meeting took action in support of sending
a letter to the Secretary of Commerce expressing their view that the “white
paper” will make it more difficult for the Sanctuary to work successfully
with the fishing community. In the letter the SAC also requested that
the language not replace or supercede what’s in the MBNMS designation
documents. Rachel S. passed out a copy of the SAC letter to the group.
Management Plan Review (JMPR) Workgroup Updates:
people attending the meeting reported on the progress of some of the
they are involved with. Kelly S. gave a brief overview of the motorized
personal watercraft (MPWC) workgroup, but focused primarily on the
issue of tow-in surfing as one item the workgroup is grappling with
be allowed and, if so, where will the exceptions be). Kathy F. spoke
about several of the workgroups: 1) Incorporating Fishing Issues into
Education and Research – Kathy noted her view that the Sanctuary
should focus on facilitating research, rather than conducting it themselves
and she noted a role for the Sanctuary to cooperate with Cal Fish and
Game to pull info together; she also noted the need for community involvement
in the process 2) Davidson Seamount – Kathy said the focus here
was on the value of the benthic habitat and whether or not the area should
be further evaluated for inclusion in the Sanctuary. She relayed concerns
that fishermen have about the Sanctuary regulating fishing in the future.
She stated that industry would likely favor other alternatives for the
area and probably would not be in favor of expanding the MBNMS boundary.
Mike B. briefly reported on the Desalination workgroup and indicated
that generally things were moving along. Art S. talked about the goals
for the Tidepool Protection workgroup and reported that the workgroup
had identified various sites within the Sanctuary and that they were
dealing with a number of issues (i.e., visitation, take, trampling, etc).
Steve S. reported that within the Marine Protected Areas workgroup there
was much spirited debate about the need for mpa’s, identifying
what problems mpa’s fix, other potential tools, and the relationship
between the Sanctuary’s effort and that state of California’s
Marine Life Protection Act effort .For more information on the specific
workgroups and issues, please see the JMPR web site at http://sanctuaries.noaa.gov/jointplan/.
Sanctuary Scenic Trail (SST):
ran out for any discussion of this item, but Rachel S. passed out a
brochure on the trail and suggested
that this was a project that the business and tourism community might
get involved in.
announcement was made that Monty Criss, SAC Tourism Rep (alternate)
and BTAP Co-Chair has resigned from his seat on the Council. Monty
has taken a job in the Bay Area. The MBNMS will be conducting
process for the seat and will be sending out a notice in within the
next month or so. The meeting then adjourned.
next BTAP meeting is May 21st from 9:30-11:30 a.m. Location: TBA, but
possibly Moss Landing Marine Lab.