Activities Panel Meeting Summary July 2001
Activity Panel Meeting Summary
Chris Harrold, Monterey Bay Aquarium, RAP Chair
JULY 2001 RAP MEETING
Host: Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute
Friday, July 13, 2001 9am-11:30am
Attendance: 15 RAP members, 7 guests
Observations for Process Studies in the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary,
Examples from MUSE (John Ryan)
John Ryan presented some of the data from MUSE (MBARI Upper-water-column
Science Experiment). This experiment took place during August 2000. Twelve
groups participated in the study using a variety of different platforms
including aircraft instruments, AUVs, drifters, moorings, small vessels,
and larger ships. Physical layers (salinity and temperature) and biological
layers (phytoplankton densities and bioluminescence) were studied. Circulation
was also studied during MUSE, specifically the canyon/shelf exchange,
wind driven sediment transport, convergence, and eddies. John concluded
that understanding the complex coastal ocean system is very important
as well as very challenging, and that effective study is technology dependent.
Moreover, collaborations across disciplines put what is usually independent
work into a context that greatly enhances understanding of ecosystem function.
information please see http://www.mbari.org/MUSE
Observations &endash; Outline for next year (Liz Love)
Liz asked the RAP for ideas for the next issue of Ecosystem Observations.
The time frame for the report is to have contributions submitted by the
end of October for publication by the March 2002 Sanctuary Currents Symposium.
Many ideas were brought up including: health of fish stocks in the Sanctuary,
big events that have happened in the last 10 years, highlight on educational
programs and student involvement, Shipwreck information, CO2 disposal
issues, the gill net fishery closure, MPA process, PISCO results, Cable
laying, Gray Whale population status, Sea Otter population status, Non-harmful
algal blooms, ICON/SCOPE projects, LFA update, Duke mitigation projects,
coastal erosion, history of underwater sampling techniques, BeachCOMBERS
website, and lighthouses.
are any other suggestions please email them to Liz.Love@noaa.gov
CDFG MPAs (Erica Burton)
Erica presented the RAP with copies of a map of California Department
of Fish and Games (CDFG) initial draft concepts for marine protected
area (MPA) networks, within the MBNMS. As part of the Marine Life Protection
Act (MLPA), CDFG is required to develop a plan for establishing networks
of MPAs in California waters to protect habitat and preserve ecosystem
integrity, among other things. Erica presented the Sanctuarys view
of the proposed areas saying that the Sanctuary considers the draft proposal
a good initial effort. The Sanctuary will ask CDFG to consider input from
the reserve working group of the Alliance of Communities for Sustainable
Fisheries. The Sanctuary suggests extending several marine reserves entirely
through state waters, allowing several areas of complete protection of
pelagic habitats and important pelagic prey species. The Sanctuary, along
with the Alliance, is attempting to develop socioeconomic data on the
value of fishing and other uses of marine resources. Good comments were
made by the RAP about MPAs in general. There was concern among RAP members
that there is a lack of scientific critera and rationale for selection
of each MPA provided to the public. It was decided that all comments regarding
MPAs should be sent to Rick Starr at email@example.com. Rick will
gather everyones comments and present them to the RAP at the August
meeting. It was suggested that Mary Yoklavich and Ralph Larson be invited
to the next meeting.
information please see
from Conservation Working Group: Research Related to Marine Reserves (Chris
Chris presented the RAP with a letter from the Conservation Working Group.
The CWG is looking for help from the RAP to answer some research questions
related to conservation implications of Marine Reserves. After a discussion
about the broad topics of the questions it was decided that a subcommittee
would form to answer the questions and provide more information to the
CWG. Greg Cailliet will head the committee along with Rick Starr, Andrew
DeVogelaere, and Erica Burton. Mary Yoklavich and Ralph Larson will also
be asked to join.
The SAC is requesting that the RAP outline research priorities for the
next five years. It is possible that the SAC will request that the RAP
attend the October 5th meeting to share their views.
wanted" invasive species (Kerstin Wasson)
Invasive species are the second biggest threat to biodiversity. Elkhorn
Slough has come up with a booklet describing the 20 "least wanted" invasive
species. The purpose of this booklet is to develop a reporting system
for early detection of any invasive species. They are looking for partners
to help develop a second edition and to distribute it to the general public.
Kerstin might look to the RAP in the future for a letter to Fish and Game
about the issue of holding a fishing license when collecting a new invasive
At the end
of the meeting John Ryan and Annette Gough took the group over to the
newly completed Building B to view the new 35ft deep test tank. The tank
will be used mainly to test autonomous underwater vehicles (AUVs).