MBNMS Education Internships
Education Internship #1: General Education Intern (Products, Programs, Outreach: Very Limited Availability!)
Education & Outreach interns promote understanding and stewardship of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary by assisting staff with the development and implementation of education projects and programs. This may include:
- 1 Assisting with the production of print/electronic products including brochures, fact sheets or videos.
- Assisting with updating and expanding the MBNMS Website.
- Assisting staff with Sanctuary related programs and events such as Sanctuary Currents Symposium or Whalefest.
- Perform other education and outreach duties as assigned. Time commitment: 3-5 hrs per week with a minimum commitment of two to three months.
Staff Lead: Liz Love
Education Internship #2: Social Media and Public Relations
The Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary is considered a reliable and authoritative source on local coastal and ocean environmental issues. As such it receives numerous inquiries from local, regional, national and international media. The Sanctuary also proactively seeks out media in an effort to help inform the public about research, education, and resource protection activities in the Sanctuary. This position would be ideal for a communications or journalism major seeking to gain real hands-on experience in developing communications plans and to respond to and solicit media. The job can easily be tailored to fit the needs of the individual student. Duties would include:
- Develop and post current updates for MBNMS' Facebook and Twitter accounts
- Generate ideas for expanding social media opportunities
- Work with staff to generate stories to post to other social media sites (e.g., ThankYouOcean.org)
- Update and maintain list of media contacts (newspaper, TV, radio, web, others)
- Work with staff to write and distribute media advisories and press releases
- Develop and implement a strategy to increase public awareness and understanding of the Sanctuary
- Assist in providing media and communications training to other Sanctuary staff. Time commitment: minimum of 3-5 hours per week.
Staff Lead: Deirdre Whalen
Education Internship #3: Sanctuary Exploration Center, Santa Cruz
The Sanctuary Exploration Center in Santa Cruz, features state-of-the art displays, research discoveries, interactive exhibits and more. Visitors explore the sanctuary's remarkable marine environment, as well as their personal role in protecting of one of our nation's special underwater treasures. Exploration Center interns will work with MBNMS education staff and may interpret exhibits to the public, conduct guided tours, assist in daily operations and participate in the development delivery or evaluation of events and programs.
Staff Lead: Lisa Uttal
Education Internship #4: Coastal Discovery Center, San Simeon
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary and California State Parks operate the Coastal Discovery Center jointly. Located at William Randolph Hearst Memorial Beach on beautiful San Simeon Bay, the center celebrates the connection between land and sea, offering interactive exhibits and education programs which highlight the cultural and natural history of the region.
Center interns will work with MBNMS education staff and may interpret exhibits to the public, assist in daily operations and participate in the development delivery or evaluation of events and programs.
Staff lead: Carolyn Skinder
The MBNMS accepts applications year-round. To apply for an internship position, please complete and submit (via mail, fax or e-mail) the attached application to:
Dawn Hayes, Deputy Superintendent
Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary
99 Pacific Street, Bldg. 455A
Monterey, CA 93940
Fax: (831) 647-4250
Phone: (831) 647-4256