Research & Monitoring Overview
Welcome to the Research Program pages of Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary. With more than 30 research institutions, the greater Monterey Bay community has emerged as a world leader in marine science. The Sanctuary Research Program assesses change in species and habitats, and participates in regional research to better understand the Sanctuary ecosystem. This information is used to support ecosystem management decisions as well as education programs.
Address resource management needs for information.
Determine scientific information gaps, develop collaborations to study issues, and interpret research for decision makers.
- Understanding changes in the Sanctuary ecosystem through the Sanctuary Integrated Monitoring Network (SIMoN).
- Facilitating collaboration among regional research groups.
- Addressing research issues related to resource management.
- Interpreting research information for decision makers and the public.
Research Priorities and Science Needs
- Research Priorities based on Management Plan
- Letters of support from MBNMS (guidance document; 75KB PDF)